Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Caramel Jewels

One of my favorite memories from my childhood is running into the store with my sister and grabbing a "sugar daddy" caramel sucker, taking it to the counter and shoving it in my mouth before my dad could even get his wallet out. We often times loose those small memories until we take a bite of an old favorite. This recipe is one that hits home for me. 


 What you need:
1 cup butter
2 1/3 cup brown sugar
dash of salt
15 oz sweet condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup light corn syrup




Now let's get started!!

Melt butter






Add brown sugar and salt
Chefs Tip: When you add these swirl pan to mix instead of stirring. 
Sometimes when its stirred it can taste a little gritty. 




Stir in Milk and Syrup




Cook over medium heat until it gets super thick
(about 10+ minutes)
 Will be boiling like this.....




Take off heat





Stir in vanilla and pour into 9x9 greased pan. 
 Let harden and then cut into squares and enjoy! 


*Make sure to add vanilla LAST and OFF OF THE HEAT! DO NOT COOK IT WITH THE CARAMEL!
The alcohol in the vanilla will burn off and u will get an odd after taste if it's cooked







2 comments: